Saturday, November 3, 2012

Stuggling with Math Again

In high school my Algebra teacher told us we would use math everyday of our lives. He was right. Maybe not the type of problems I am doing in my algebra class right now, but I do use basic math daily. I add, subtract, figure percentages. When I did special event planning I was able to calculate multiple item quotes--like, the client needed a balloon arch that was to fill a space that was 18 ft long by 12 ft high, using 11" helium filled, latex balloons, plus 20 centerpieces, shimmer curtain along the back of a stage that was 24 ft long,  a balloon drop measuring 15 X 15 ft, and Winnie the Pooh, a face painter, and a clown for two-hours.... .I was able to calculate all of that and give a rough estimate that was usually within 5% of the written quote, I would later give. (Back then I would have charged around $3600 before any discounts or taxes for an event like that.)

(look for a balloon photo to insert here)

When I design a quilt, I am able to figure how much fabric I will need. I've never taken a quilting class. I never use a pattern. I draw it out and figure yardage. Add to that calculating a quote for a client? Yes, I can do it, mostly in my head. The quilt below is a crazy quilt and is primarily made from fabric scraps. However, the squares are made with a foundation, so I need to figure how much yardage for the foundation, sashing, border, backing and batting. Plus the cost of each of those items, the cost of the fabric scraps, and my time.... (This quilt was a gift to my son when he got married. This is a time intensive quilt and I would charge $1750 for a 6 ft X 6 ft guilt like this.)


I have to go to UNM today to take an Algebra test. The class  is online--but you are required to take two face-2-face tests, so they can verify that you can and are doing the work.....  I was up four hours ago to study. This semester, I have to take really good notes and study right before the tests, or my mind goes blank. It took me two hours to do the first 9 problems and now I cannot remember what I have studied. I have to leave in one hour.... and????? I'll push myself a little more, but I have this huge block up and I have convinced myself that I cannot do this. I can't. I will fail.... I am trying to battle that, but..... my brain is unfocused and I feel foggy. I have to pass this class to graduate. At this point, will I ever graduate?

I wrote this in hopes of getting centered and of convincing myself that I CAN do it, but..... I doubt I will succeeded. The time would have been better spent focusing on the test problems.....or trying to.







No comments:

Post a Comment