Saturday, November 10, 2012

I love You Big Sister

 (Photo by TinaMarie Gardner. Circa 1978)

Sylvia was my Big Sister 
(yes, with capitals, because I worshiped Sylvia while growing up.) 

She was seven-and-a-half years older then me. She was one of the most amazing, wonderful, loving, beautiful, influential people in both my childhood and as an adult. We laughed and we cried together. We played and worked together. We loved and we fought as true siblings. She encouraged me to grow and do my best. She was there for me when Roxcy died. I adored Sylvia and wanted to be just like her.

 (Photo by TinaMarie Gardner--circa 1994)

Sylvia was a victim of domestic violence and died ten years ago.  She was only 48-years old. The world suffered a huge loss when she returned to that better place. I know she is happier where she is and that she watches over us. However, I still miss her a lot.


This is a picture of  both of my sisters and me at Robyn's wedding in 1976 (photo by Allen Gibby Photography). I was 14. Sylvia was 22 and Robyn was almost 21. This is one of the few pictures of the three of us. I hated that dress. I was the maid of honor and they didn't get my dress made in time. My mom was able to find this polyester thing in the right color (I also hated the color yellow.) I was a late bloomer and was very shy. Plus, I was so very self-conscious that you can see my underwear in the picture.... :-(

People use to think Sylvia and Robyn were twins--but they were 13-months apart. People always knew I was their sister--even though, I got the Swedish/Scotch coloring (Sylvia said she got the Spanish and Jewish coloring and nose.)

As I cry a little this morning and wish Sylvia was here to give me a hug and advice, I stopped to listen to two songs Sylvia loved. I've repeated the stories that go with each one elsewhere before..... and won't take time to go there....

  (Our brother, Wayne, with Sylvia at Disneyland--circa 1998. Photo by TinaMarie Gardner)


To Sylvia, I will always love you too. 








No comments:

Post a Comment