Wednesday, January 8, 2014

MRI

Today I completed the 3rd test to determine how far the cancer has spread. I had an MRI.

It may be a week or two before I am able to replace my Azul Carito. My friend Manny gave me a ride.Once I got to the UNM Breast Cancer Center things began going down hill. I had gotten there early, because I was told I needed a blood draw before I do the CaT Scan next week. However, I didn't need a blood draw, because they could use the blood from the draw on Dec 26th. So, I went to the imaging desk to check-in. The lady said my UNMH Care had been canceled and my Centenial Care was still pending. Briefly, I had a jolt, thinking I would not have insurance coverage for the scan or any procedures until these wonderful changes being forced upon us by the government. The lady helping me showed little interest or compassion and asked for my co-pay. I have to say that that made me shake my head and wonder if anyone knows what is really happening. With the timing of my cancer, I feel like I will be a poster child for Obama-Care.

I was sitting there waiting. A few minutes after the time for my appointment the lady came over and told me that the MRI people were running about thirty minutes late. When I go to doctors appointments I always figure on extra time. However, I was already feeling frustrated. Finally, I was taken back to the changing area. I was given a gown and pants to change into. I tried to put on the pants, but they were too small. I had stripped down to just my panties when a male patient opened the curtain into my cubical. I looked up. He gasped and quickly closed the curtain. I shook my head and thought things like this are destined to happen to me. He was more frightened and shocked than I was, I am sure. When I told the imaging tech, her response was, "Yeah, these things happen." I think it will be one of my crazy Tina stories as I share this journey. I can laugh about it already.

When a breast MRI is done, you lay on your tummy on that narrow table/bed and your breast are put thru an opening and left hanging down. There is also an opening for your nose and mouth, so you can breathe. They place headphones over your ears to mask the sound of the machine. They try to make you as comfortable as possible, but total comfort is impossible. In my case, the earphones began slipping immediately--which was uncomfortable and did little if any good at blocking the sound. Plus, the face opening was not positioned right and my mouth was over the vinyl and that got slippery and wet, adding to my discomfort. I moved slightly at one point, which necessitated retaking that image.

I have been thru a lot since I discovered the lump. I have been emotional a lot.  It was while laying there, face down during a few moments of inactivity that I felt something emotional in me snap and I started crying. I did not want to have to do these tests any more. I didn't want to deal with meeting with doctors, more tests, surgery, radiation, chem.... I didn't want to keep dealing with the car situation and I knew I had to and that this was just the beginning. And I was afraid and so tired of my life.

When we were done, the tech came in and said the male assistant would remove the IV line and she left. I told her that earphones had slipped and her responce was, "Yeah, that happens." The assistant removed the IV and told me I would need to wait til the dressing room was free and he too left. And that was it. Where as my other procedures have gone well and the staff was kind and compassionate, this group were just  jerks.



No comments:

Post a Comment