Sunday, December 16, 2012

Tony The Shelf Elf

The day before my mom passed away, I bought El Jay the Elf on a Shelf doll and the book. At bedtime, with the Elf and Tommy by our sides we read the story.  El Jay wasn't too excited by the doll or book. I asked him to name the Elf and he gave me this "You've got to be kidding" look. During the night the Elf did his thing and in the morning he was hiding elsewhere in the house.

During the night my mom had died. When I woke EL Jay I shared that with him. As El Jay ate his breakfast he looked up and he said, "Hey Tony," and made a few comments.

I had no idea who he was talking to and looked over to see that EL Jay was looking towards where the Elf had been sitting when I got up that morning ;-) and I asked, "Who are you talking to?"

"Tony," replied El Jay.

"Tony? Is that what you named the Elf?"

El Jay shook his head no. "Grandma told me that was his name. She said he was really her Christmas gift to me."

I smiled and wiped a tear from my eye. Mom loved Halloween and Christmas and doing special things with and for her family. I am happy she made sure EL Jay got this final gift.

Welcome, Tony, to our Home


.
Tony managed to sneak into our family portrait on Christmas Day.
(posted in January)

No comments:

Post a Comment