Thursday, September 27, 2012

Don't Tread On Me


 Really, I should have said, "NO Tread on Me." 
My Little Azul Carito (as El Jay calls it) isn't going any where until I can afford to replace the two back tires. I am counting my blessings that the car got us home safely. 
Another blessing? My class this afternoon was canceled. 
Me? I'm feeling pretty blue.
(but my nickname is Indigo, right?)

Now to turn this into a political commentary and not just a whine session:



Don't tread On Me was the slogan used  on a flag created by American general and statesman Christopher Gadsden.

The origin of the rattlesnake used as political satire can be traced to 
a comment made by Benjamin Franklin in 1751 when he referred to the convicts that England was sending to the Americas as rattlesnakes. 

In 1754 Franklin made this famous wood cutting depicting the thirteen colonies as a rattlesnake cut into thirteen pieces and under it is written, "Join, or Die." This was the first political cartoon published in an American newspaper. 

As the Colonies began to establish their own sense of individualism, symbols such as the rattlesnake and the bald eagle became icons for the United States of America and the ideals of the people.





No comments:

Post a Comment