Tuesday, September 25, 2012

By the Dawn's Early Light

I had an early morning photo shoot. One of my goals--not necessarily part of the Internship--is to get images of real people who are involved in the election. From ALL parties. Pictures of people doing something they believe in.

A week or so ago, I was driving West on I-40 around 6pm. The sun was getting low in the sky. As I drove under the pedestrian walkway between the River and Coors Ave, I looked up and I saw a man with a huge sign and a flag and I thought, "I'd really like to meet this person and take their picture and talk to them." Saturday night I was making phone calls at work and during one of my conversations I discovered I was talking to THAT person. I met him yesterday at the Victory Center and arranged to take pictures of him this morning. I'll come back to who he is and why he does this, later, but for now I want to share a different perspective on this experience.



This was obviously taken from my car as it zoomed by this solitary man standing in the median between traffic. You can see the American flag and the huge sign, but you cannot read his message. I like this image because of how it speaks of the American Way. I like it because it doesn't say what his cause is, but leaves it up to the viewer to decide on their own message.



Again.... this could be any man, on any street in America. Again, his sign is obscured, but the American flag is very present in the morning light. What is his message? Obviously, it will be a political message.

If it was my message on my sign, it would simply say, "VOTE!" I don't care what party you belong to. I just want everyone to get out and vote.

Now.... you can see his face as he waves at cars honking as they go past him. And again.... I chose not to show his sign. (Don't worry, I will write a blog and tell you more about this man and what he believes in.)

I had a very limited time to shoot this man ;-) I had to get home to give Jeddy the car, so he could get to school. No more than three minutes after I drove away the sun came out in all his glory. The sun would have been fabulous in these shots... oh well... maybe next time. I took this picture of the sun rise as soon as I came to a stop at a light.



As the sun comes up there is always hope for a better day.


No comments:

Post a Comment