Sunday, April 29, 2012

Busy Busy Busy and Getting No Where Quickly

This semester has been really rough. So many distractions from school. So much need. I am ready for a break. I am ready to quit school. I am so tired. My final project? LOL.

I don't know if anyone, besides Mr Winge, will read this. But just in case, get your education while you are young. Stay in school and stay focused. It is so much easier when you are young to get a degree. I dropped out the of school the first time when I was a senior. I had just changed my degree for the third time, from Secondary Ed to Communications-Journalisn (with a minor in photography) and I had four or five quarters to go (basically three semesters--maybe four.) I got engaged, but the plan was to stay in school. Then my fiance was offered a job in his hometown, Monterey, CA. We decided to make the move. I would take a short break and after getting settled return to school. My fiance promised my dad that he would make sure I finished. We got settled. But.... Monterey, at that time, only had a Junior College. I talked to a counselor and I needed three classes to get a general ed associates degree. Around that time I was offered the job of manager at a fabric store and I decided to put school back on hold. Two years later I had my first baby and I started my own business doing special event planning. Things seemed to be going great. When Caleb was 18-months old I decided to go back to school. I discussed it with my husband. We decided I would take one class a quarter and get my associates. The first night of class, I kissed my son and husband good-bye and went to class. 20-minutes into class, my husband showed up with my son and said, "I talked to my parents and they won't watch Caleb while you are taking classes, and I feel if one of us is going back to school, it should be me. As a woman you don't need to go to school." He left Caleb in my arms. The teacher told me to leave and not to come back with a child.... I spent the next three months in Southern California with my parents trying to decide whether to save my marriage or not. I went back. I focused on building my special events business and running the business end of my husbands commercial wrought iron business. Over the next 12-years I had three more sons and two daughters (Roxcy the younger daughter died of SIDS in 1993.) We bought four beach cottages--lived in one, rented two, used one as my studio. I stayed busy. I tried to stay sane. I didn't think about returning to school. In 2000 I filed for divorce. Sold my business. Sold my property and moved to Southern California. I bought a house and enrolled in classes at the local Junior College--but dropped the classes because I decided the kids and I needed time to settle and adjust. In 2002 I remarried. In 2003 my last son was born and we moved here. My 2nd husband worked at UNM and the plan was for me to use his tuition remission and take one class a semester, but after I applied, he decided I needed to work ful-ltime and again school was set aside. I divorced in 2006 and in 2007 I enrolled in classes. I had to retake many classes and began school as a sophomore. My goal was to graduate in May 2012. Going part-time it feels I will never finish. Life has been harsh with too many surprises and a lot of stress.  My current is to Graduate in December 2013. I will be 51 years old.

If you read this and learn one thing.... Just stay in school. No matter what.

Pictures for this week to be added when I am on my PC....

No comments:

Post a Comment